The story of my battle with snare drum addiction.

Sunday 23 August 2009

Craviotto Timeless Timber Maple


Another Timeless Timber maple drum, this time a 14x4. It's funny that at one point I recall thinking I would never own a drum like this and now I have two.

This drum comes from a special run of 25 drums which Steve Maxwell commissioned Johnny Craviotto to make and has a shell made from 600 year old maple with 24k gold hardware like my other drum. This particular drum is #8 - Steve's personal drum and it came to me via Steve after he had sold it to another collector who subsequently sold it back to him.

The drum came with Remo Renaissance heads top and bottom, although I changed the batter head to an Ambassador when I got it to play it. I don't generally like 14x4 drums as I find them to be overly shallow and lacking in body - arguably that's the point of piccolo drums, but there you go. I can't swear to loving the sound of this drum at the moment because I can't get a sound out of it I like, but it's still worth having as a collectible and so it lives on a display stand in my front room opposite the AK drum.

More photos.


About Me

My photo
Ruislip, London, United Kingdom
I collect snare drums. I think I also have a problem...